In 1946, Bud and Mary Singleton, their 6 children, and a Cocker Spaniel named ‘Pal’, started the first generation of the ‘Singleton Store’, originally called Newton’s Store, in Reading, VT. They ran the store for 28 years until 1973 when they took a small hiatus from the grocery business for five years. During those five years, Bud and Mary realized the need for a general store in the neighboring town of Proctorsville, VT. In 1978, he bought 1.5 acres of land with frontage on Route 131 and another 1.5 acres to the west. The store started out similar in size to the one in Reading, but soon branched out to 7500 sq. feet in response to requests from customers.
At different times throughout the store’s history, all of the Singleton children contributed to the store, but only Tom remained to eventually take over the family business. Tom and his wife, Linn, took over Singleton’s in 1999 when his father, Bud, decided it was time to retire from the grocery business.
Tom and Linn continue to look for new ways to please their customers for years to come as Singleton’s General Store follows in Bud and Mary’s footsteps.